85
73
airbreather
If you go to here and plug in some numbers

https://www.omnicalculator.com/ecology/wind-turbine

You see that at around 0.2m blade length a HAWT will generate 40W at 28 mph wind. 28 mph is "Strong Breeze", according to the National Weather Service and in which you probably really don't want to be camping.

Strong Breeze = "Large branches in continuous motion. Whistling sounds heard in overhead or nearby power and telephone lines. Umbrellas used with difficulty."

But when you get down to 15 mph (moderate breeze) it's only making 6 watts, and at 8mph (gentle breeze) it's making 1 watt.

That is assuming steady wind to think you will get that continuously, derate accordingly.

I suspect there will be some gap between expected and actual performance for many people.

UI_at_80x24
40w max output @ 28 miles/hour windspeed.

12,000 mAh internal battery

There's no mention of voltage but it looks like it uses USB connectors, so let's assume 5v. This turbine running at full-load (with NO losses)

40w @ 5V = 8A (maximum theoretical)

8A * 1.5hrs = 12,000mAh (1.5hrs minimum theoretical time needed for a full charge.

Now divide everything by 1/3rd for better 'real-world' (aka pessimistic) numbers.

13w average output

13w / 5v = 2.6A

2.6A * 4.5hrs = 11,700mAh

So really not that bad, but most of the time I'm camping the trees block 95% of the wind. On the other hand that other 5% does seem to happen more then 5% of the time. =)

Here's the fundraiser site where it gives more details: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shine-a-wind-turbine-that...

Stevvo
I have a 400W wind turbine along with 400W of solar on my boat. The turbine almost never gets used as it makes more noise than a 1500W gasoline generator.
jimmySixDOF
As for non typical wind systems, I was looking recently at some vertical axis wind turbines after seeing some flower/tulip designs and for anyone interested this Tesup Atlas 4 model seems to be as good as it gets [1]. Starts generating at 10mph and gets to 4kw at 35mph. Its about a 4ft square footprint and 50lbs so not in the same class as TFA but then again this will do more than trickle charge a cell phone.

[1] https://www.tesup.us/product-page/atlas20-48v-2kw-wind-turbi...

samatman
Something vaguely like this might be quite nice if the designers thought in terms of sails rather than propellers.

Using the existing principles of tensegrity applied to self-supporting tents, this could have enough surface area to run the generator at maximum in a gentle breeze, with some possibility of trimming in actual wind.

It would be a completely different product but it's not an implausible one.

Edit: I'm thinking vertically mounted with three 'jib' sails which are constrained on (let's say) the clockwise side, these would take turns catching the wind, then relax into the leeward and snap over onto the bar when returning to windward.

vatotemking
A 10watt solar panel and a step-down module that can charge a powerbank is the simplest, cheapest, most portable option I can think of.
airbreather
I normally camp near running water, a more practical idea in this case would be a small water turbine, especially as water water enables smaller size for same power and generally constant flow so power output needed is less than generally intermittent wind.

The other thing is it doesn't say how noisy it is - bet you it's pretty annoying if it is making 40W, probably even at 15-20W.

oftenwrong
3 pounds = 1.36kg

It's heavy for most recreational activities, but it might be great for expeditions. If it could be made very durable, it could be beneficial for superdeep cave exploration. In such environments there is no light, but often there is rushing wind and water. There is also a critical need for power to keep lights running. While charged batteries can also be brought in from the surface, they have a limited lifespan in the cave, and an expedition therefore needs a continuous supply of fresh batteries to continue.

krasotkin
Very cool. Is this open hardware? That is, something public you could download and 3d print? My mind is already buzzing with half-baked ideas of how I might utilize this in my garden.
TrispusAttucks
How does this compare to a micro solar panel?
adrianN
It probably makes more sense to carry three pounds of batteries. Small wind turbines that are close to the ground hardly produce any power. Or two pounds of batteries and a small solar panel.
ck2
Aren't there physics tricks that could be used like Bernoulli and Venturi effects for a reverse mini dyson-fan as generator?
aaron695
hadlock
"will provide power at wind speeds from 8 to 28 miles per hour"

Neat idea but unless you are within 3 miles of the coast you're unlikely to see wind speeds above 6mph in your area for any sustained period of time.